Family, Friends, Fun, Feelings

Family, Friends, Fun, Feelings
A little story about living, learning, and loving

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Unknown

What is the unknown? Is it just something that is not researched enough or more or less just something that we do not understand? I feel like it is sometimes a little bit of both. Depending on the situation, it can go back and forth... something that you do not really understand as an individual or just a new concept.

There are always unkowns. Whether it be an ailment that it is confusing to you, a wonder about future plans, or even what will happen in the Olympics that day. Unknowns are not something people relish well. As humans, we do not enjoy when we do not have control, or do not really truly understand what is going on in our life. There is something about how our mind can wander when we do not know for certain what is going on. When you do not know what is making you sick, people go through many different variables and hypothesis of what could be wrong. Does that make you feel better ever? Thinking you might have some random virus or infection... usually not. Most people try to put it out of their mind, but usually do not feel fully better until an expert, or in this case a doctor, tells you what exactly is going on. The moment the unknown, becomes a known.

I have gone through unknowns these last couple months. How would I cope without a father anymore, will I ever find a job that fits for me in this new career change, will I be safe and healthy until I can get on benefits again? These are all scary questions that can really just take you to a dark place. It is not fun there, because it is an unknown. Each day though, you must try to continue to look at things little by little, and not try to become overwhelmed with things. If you can take things one day at a time, and let some pieces fall into place then things are not just unknown but the unexpected future, which sounds a heck of a lot better.

As a world, we like control.. we like to know things before they happen. But we cannot predict things in our lives, we can not always read the end of a book before we start it... sometimes you have to go with the punches. In those situations, sometimes unknowns are good. It is like a little bit of a puzzle but fun maze that has to come to full picture. I don't want to know everything that is going to happen in my life. Would that be fun for people? To know, oh tomorrow I am going to get the flu. I mean you might try to change it, but I doubt it will actually be something you can change.

This summer, I wish I felt differently, that I could just know where the next month would take me. It would just be a relief after months of uncertantity. But that is what gives life a little flavor. Not everything can be a walk in the park, if it was we would all get bored after awhile. No, there is times when the known is better... on tests, on diagnoses, in love, and in your heart... but not everything is black and white. Unknown things in our life are opportunities.. to shine, to reach for something new, to learn. We are all looking for those type of things in our life. Sadly though, that is not the course everything takes.

In all, just try to think that the unknown is not always scary. Yes, it is different and it is that way because we are not sure what it brings. But try to think back to a time when you did not know something and then found out and how awesome it might have made you feel. Sometimes the unknown just falls into being patient. Which is something else that is entirely hard, but can be very rewarding. August, I am not sure what you will bring but I will try to stay as positive about the unknown as I can be. :)

1 comment: