Interview season is upon us, and from the first couple I have been on, I have learned a decent amount.
1. You can not prepare for everything they ask you.
Depending on who is interviewing you and what their position is, each person in the committee could ask you so many different questions. My first interview was with just a science coordinator. I thought that would be the easiest one because we had so much common interest, well little did I know that has turned out to be my hardest interview. He was very specific in little details as aspects of science teaching that I was not prepared to answer. It was a very laid back interview but at the same time, I couldn't help but think that all my preparations for that interview did not really help me out too much.
2. Demo lessons help the interview flow.
I have now given a demo lesson at a school before having an interview and I think it was the best way for the process to work. They were able to see a little bit more about me, other then a cover letter and resume before asking me all of these questions. It felt more like a conversation than an interview. I enjoyed it because I could use a tangible example that related to what they saw in my lesson that I think helped them understand more of what I was saying and how I would approach my own classroom.
3. It isn't as nerve wracking as I thought
Between student teaching, defending your master's thesis and other things, interviews are pretty small on the radar of things that I should get really worried about. Yes they make a big deal in the scheme of things but at the same time, you just have to be yourself. If you don't know how to be yourself after this many years of life then I don't think you should be trying to be a teacher.
4. 30 minutes goes by FAST
Interviews I always thought would drag but when you start talking about things you are passionate about or experiences you had, time can go really fast. Once about 3 or 4 questions are done, it seems like 30 minutes are getting close depending on how detailed your questions are. Seems crazy that talking in school seemed so long to speak for 30 minutes but now it can go by like that. Just make sure to use those 30 minutes to your advantage and get everything in you wanted to say.
In all, interviews now that I have some under my belt are not feeling that bad and I mean I can only do so much. I show them who I am and who I want to be as a teacher, the rest is up to them.
We will see how it all plays out :)
dust.
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment